Water Wise Farming – Project Officer.
Location: Llangollen, North Wales.
Salary: £22- 28,000 p.a. subject to experience.
Pension: Option of the Rivers Trust pension scheme; Employees contribution of 4% and employers contribution of 9%.
Holidays: 25 Days + Bank Holidays.
Contract: Full time (37.5 hours per week). Fixed-term 2 Year Contract with possible extension subject to future funding opportunities.
Reports To: Programme Manager- Water Wise Farming.
About Welsh Dee Trust: A member of the wider Rivers Trust movement; The Welsh Dee Trust is a small independent charity working to restore the brooks, streams and rivers of the Dee catchment for both wildlife and people. In 2020 the Welsh Dee Trust is embarking upon an exciting period of growth and has identified five clear programmes of work to pursue. This is a new position working on our Water Wise Farming programme. This Programme aims to work with the agricultural industry to reduce the loss of pollutants into watercourses.
Job Overview: The Project Officer will provide confidential advice and support to help farmers identify solutions to agricultural pollution. This will be undertaken by one to one visits to farms in the project region and events to promote peer to peer learning. The Project Officer will then work with landowners to identify potential causes of water pollution and work with the farms to find changes in practice or capital projects which will eliminate the source. This post is funded as part of the Woodlands for water project delivered in partnership with the North Wales Wildlife Trust, working in the Alyn and Chwiler catchment near to Mold.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with farmers in the project region to identify sources and solutions for water pollution.
- Undertake on-farm soil and water assessments.
- Provide confidential advice to landowners on the regulations concerning freshwater pollution.
- Organise and run events focused on peer to peer learning within target regions.
Knowledge and Experience:
- In-depth knowledge of agriculture and agricultural practices.
- Ability to coordinate multiple workstreams.
- Ability to use Windows/Microsoft Office.
- Full driving licence and your own vehicle.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation relating to farming and the water environment.
- Experience of managing contractors.
- FACTS trained
Applications: please send a cover letter and CV with two references to Huw Evans at Huw@welshdeetrust.com
Closing Date: March 15th
Interviews: Week commencing the 23rd of March in Llangollen.