Restoring River Habitat- Programme Manager
Restoring River Habitat– Programme Manager
Location: Llangollen, North Wales.
Salary: £28- 31,000 p.a. subject to experience.
Pension: Option of the Rivers Trust pension; Employees contribution of 4% and Employers contribution of 9%.
Holidays: 25 Days + Bank Holidays.
Contract: Full time (37.5 hours per week). Fixed-term 2 Year Contract with possible extension subject to future funding opportunities.
Reports To: Chief Executive
About Welsh Dee Trust: A member of the wider Rivers Trust movement; The Welsh Dee Trust is a small independent charity working to restore the brooks, streams and rivers of the Dee catchment for both wildlife and people. In 2020 the Welsh Dee Trust is embarking on an exciting period of growth and has identified five clear programmes of work to pursue. This post is a new position managing our Restoring River habitats programme. This Programme aims to restore natural processes and connectivity of rivers and streams to benefit all species. This is a key programme for the Trust and the successful applicant will have the ability to develop and steer the programme to achieve its vision.
Job Overview: The Programme Manager will deliver habitat restoration projects throughout the River Dee Catchment. The duties will involve delivering practical habitat improvement (Tree planting, coppicing, installing large woody debris etc.), writing project grant applications, engaging and supervising contractors, liaising with funding bodies and managing project officers, assistants and volunteers.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop and steer the Restoring River Habitat Programme, including managing staff and volunteers, identifying and fundraising for new projects and managing budgets.
- Work with landowners, fishing clubs and other stakeholders to identify and deliver habitat restoration projects across the Dee catchment.
- Manage and support staff and volunteers in undertaking practical habitat restoration projects.
- Ensure Health and Safety is managed correctly for all staff and contractors.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience writing funding applications and developing projects
- Physical fitness and an aptitude for outdoor work.
- Knowledge of river restoration techniques.
- An ability to manage and work with people.
- Full driving licence
- Chainsaw, brushcutter and trailer qualifications.
- Experience using GIS particularly Arc GIS.
- Experience in freshwater monitoring techniques particularly electrofishing and invertebrates.
- Welsh Speaking.
Applications: please send a cover letter and CV with two references to Huw Evans at Huw@welshdeetrust.com
Closing Date: March 15th
Interviews: Week commencing the 23rd of March in Llangollen.