Project Accountant, Westcountry Rivers Trust
Full time permanent position
salary between £26 – £29k (dependent on experience) plus benefits including 7% pension.
The Westcountry Rivers Trust is an environmental charity that works across the South West to improve our rivers for the benefit of all. We work with EU grants, Water Company funded initiatives and government funding to deliver change both in our rivers and on the land that they drain. We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our finance team. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to work for WRT, a dynamic and aspirational organisation at the forefront of environmental thinking and practical conservation in the UK today.
To apply: Send your CV and a one-page covering letter clearly marked as applying for the job of Project Accountant to Westcountry Rivers Trust, Rain-Charm House, Kyl Cober Parc, Stoke Climsland, Cornwall PL17 8PH or email to email@example.com – For further information see www.wrt.org.uk
Submission by: 5pm Friday 19th April 2019. Interviews will take place in the week commencing 29th April 2019.
Raise and submit European and UK claims including:
• Extract claim information from SAGE / XERO
• Check claim transactions for eligibility within the programme guidelines
• Oversee the Admin Coordinator to ensure she has all relevant information to collate supporting documentation for the claims for submission
• Accurate completion of quarterly and half-yearly claim forms to deadlines
• Submit claims and documents for audit
• Monthly reconciliation of project income, expenditure and match funding
• Investigate and resolve any issues or problems arising
Correspondence with third parties including:
• Procurement to engage an auditor (First Level Controller – FLC) of claims for new projects, and notifying DCLG of the appointment
• Liaise with auditors in relation to audit planning and all aspects of the claim and resolve any queries to ensure claim audits are signed off to deadlines
• Attendance at European partner meetings, both in the UK and overseas
• Attendance at training sessions for claim submission on projects
• Liaise with Lead Partner to control delays in receipt of claim payments
• Where the Trust is Lead Partner, liaise regularly with Project Partners to ensure timely submission of their claims. Obtain budget updates from Partners to ensure overall project spend is in line with expectations and the budget will be achieved.
• Respond to issues / queries / requests for information in an accurate and timely manner
Keep project managers and Head of Finance informed of project progress including:
• Date claims submitted
• Value of the claims (Cash and Match Funding) – Sterling and Euros
• Total match funding achieved / remaining
• All concerns / issues / risks
• Regular budget forecasts and cash flow for each project
• Chase for payment as and when required and inform Head of Finance of when receipt expected and any possible delays.
• Liaise with Project Manager on claim deadlines for submission of Progress Reports to accompany the claim.
Other Project related tasks:
• Ensure project expenditure is in compliance with the Trusts’ procurement process and procedures
• Prepare NEC contracts for relevant suppliers, where required by the Trust’s procurement procedures. This requires an understanding of the NEC contract and training will be provided if required.
• Carry out Trust Year End procedures to include:
Raise project journals where necessary
• Assist Head of Finance with any other duties required
The post holder will be based within WRT offices in Stoke Climsland, Cornwall. The post will report to Kelly Sivorn, Head of Finance.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in processing and auditing project claims in an efficient and timely manner and have the ability to balance multiple requests for information against their own priorities and deadlines.
• 2-3 years of experience in project accounting / auditing
• A keen eye for accuracy and detail and the ability to work to deadlines
• Knowledge & competence in Microsoft Office applications particularly Excel
• Knowledge and competence in SAGE / XERO / finance software
• Ability to work on the differing tasks identified in the Job Description, at the same time
• Good interpersonal skills, both face-to-face and over the phone
• Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and be an integral member of project teams to ensure the successful delivery of projects to budget
• Reliable, demonstrating good attendance and work performance
• Ability to set performance objectives and ensure these are achieved
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Excellent numerical skills
• Valid driving licence and own car, insured for business use
• Happy to work in a small Finance team
• Knowledge of Interreg Funding and claims processing
• Knowledge of Project Management