Lead Agri-Environment Advisor, REAction WEG Project
Post Title: Lead Agri-Environment Advisor, REAction WEG Project
Responsible to: Head of Projects, Research and Innovation
Salary: £24,712 – £30,854 (A30-A37) pa, depending on experience
Status:Full time (37 hours per week), Fixed term appointment to March 2021
Purpose of the job:
To provide specialist advice to farmers, landowners and land managers and support the design and delivery of a programme of interventions that promote water quality improvement of the Rea Brook, Shropshire, by reducing diffuse pollution from farms and rural areas.
The job-holder will:
- work with the farmers, land-owners and the agricultural community to produce water, nutrient and soil management plans
- identify and scope interventions that provide positive outcomes for the farm and the project
- support beneficiaries in preparing applications for financial support for interventions from the REAction WEG project
- design and deliver a programme of farmer training events and one-to-one farm visits to promote resource protection and reduction in diffuse water pollution from agriculture, with a focus on dairy farm practices.
The job holder may be able to register and study for a fully-funded Masters by Research (MRes) qualification as part of the work.
The job holder will work from the offices of the Severn Rivers Trust in Welshpool.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities of your Job Role:
|· Identify, contact and visit farmers, land owners and stakeholders from the agricultural community, and understand their operations, environmental performance, needs and concerns
· Work with farmers and land owners to identify opportunities to deploy interventions, improve infrastructure and change land management practices, designed to reduce diffuse pollution to surface and sub-surface water
· Design and agree tailored water, nutrient and soil management plans management plans for beneficiary farms
· Support beneficiary farmers and land owners to prepare applications for financial support for interventions from the REAction WEG project
· Support farmers and land owners and encourage them to implement measures and change practices to reduce soil erosion
· Provide practical advice on soil and nutrient management and follow this up with visits to increase the likelihood of change
· Act as an account manager and maintain regular contact with farmers and land-owners and address their changing needs
· Attend regular farmer and stakeholder networking events to promote the REAction WEG project
· Administer and verify scheme activity, and maintain a system of evaluation and feedback from farmers and land owners
· Prepare and submit monthly RDPE compliant progress reports to ensure adequate monitoring of the programme, engagement activity and scheme take up into a CRM Database
· Participate in relevant Reaseheath College environment initiatives, programmes and projects during the period
· Participate in relevant partner activities where these are complimentary to the core programme, assist in the development of water environment focussed groups and projects in target areas.
· Signpost farmers and landowners to relevant external funding sources or specialist advice.
· Uphold client confidentiality, comply with regional policies and adhere to business legislation and best practice.
Your job description will be reviewed during your annual Performance Development and Review interview, and will be varied in the light of the changing business needs of the College.