Finance & Administration Officer, Ballinderry Rivers Trust
Ballinderry Rivers Trust (BRT) is an environmental charity dedicated to the conservation and protection of the Ballinderry River, the western-shore rivers and streams of Lough Neagh and Lough Neagh itself.
Our focus is on engaging the local community in the protection of the area’s threatened freshwater species and habitats, improving water quality and educating the public on the importance of a healthy freshwater environment for all.
The role will involve the maintenance and efficient co-ordination of the day-to-day accounting procedures and office administration. You will work with the Trust’s staff, volunteers, funders, contractors and partners to ensure that the financial and administrative systems operate efficiently and effectively. You will work closely with, and assist, the chief executive. It is anticipated that time will be split roughly equally between finance and administration duties.
You will apply your accountancy knowledge to process the Trust’s financial information and to produce accounts and reports monthly and as projects or systems require.
You will support and work alongside the chief executive and staff in day-to-day office, project, and Trust management activities. You will need to communicate well, both verbally and in writing and have good attention to detail.
You will have the opportunity to be involved with a wide range of support activities. This is an opportunity to be at the heart of a dynamic and enthusiastic team and your role will be essential to the growth and development of the Trust to make a real difference to the environment.
Part-time, 3 days (21 hours) a week
Two-year fixed-term contract with possibility of extension
- Flexible working hours
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Work from home opportunities (especially during Covid-19)
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Co-ordinate, process and maintain the Trust’s Financial Systems including Xero and Receipt Bank
- Preparing, maintaining and reporting on the Trust’s accounts and project accounts
- Preparing and processing invoices and staff/volunteer expenses claims
- Monitoring, initiating and processing bank account transactions
- Assisting the chief executive with cash flow forecasting for both the Trust and its projects
- Preparing financial information for grant/funding applications
- Preparing and submitting financial claims to funders
Office, Trust and Project Administration
- Being the first point of external contact for the organisation
- Assisting the chairperson, secretary and chief executive with trust administrative activities including organising meetings, taking minutes, preparing Board papers.
- Managing and maintaining internal databases and systems
- Managing and maintaining the Trust’s presence on partners’ databases
- Maintaining statutory records and reports with The Charity Commission for Northern Ireland, Companies House and HMRC
- Reviewing and maintaining all the Trust’s Policies
- Undertaking general office administration (e.g. phone contracts, office stationery and supplies, answering suppliers’ queries, filing and records)
- Undertaking HR related admin (e.g. personnel related record keeping, such as time sheets, sick and holiday leave, training records)
- Organising and maintaining records of the statutory safety testing of equipment
- Assisting with communications for the organisation including updating our website
- Working closely with staff and volunteers of Project related general admin tasks including project progress reporting; procurement of goods and services etc
- Providing support to the chief executive as necessary
- Undertaking additional duties commensurate with the post as required from time to time.
Please keep this person specification in mind when preparing your cover letter and CV. Knowledge, experience, skills and aptitudes will be assessed through the application process and at interview.
Knowledge Qualifications & Experience
1. Relevant finance/financial management/administration qualification or equivalent (Essential)
2. At least 2 years experience of financial and management reporting within a small to medium sized organisation (Essential)
3. At least 2 years experience in Xero processing (or similar e.g. SAGE) (Essential)
4. At least 2 years knowledge & experience in online banking processes (Essential)
5. At least 2 years experience in understanding and preparing budgets (Essential)
6. Strong MS Office experience particularly Excel & Word (Essential)
7. At least 2 years experience of submitting project claims & applications on time (Desirable)
8. Knowledge & experience in preparing and managing tenders and procurement (Desirable)
9. At least 2 years experience of providing team admin support (Desirable)
10. Experience of maintaining internal policies and procedures (Desirable)
11. Experience of working in the Charity sector (Desirable)
12. Experience of working with social media platforms (Desirable)
Skills & Abilities
13. Excellent communication skills (Essential)
14. Excellent organisational and time management skills (Essential)
15. Good attention to detail (Essential)
16. Ability to multitask and turn hand to other tasks as required (Essential)
Personal Qualities & Attributes
17. Enthusiastic and able to work well both as part of a team and independently (Essential)
18. Self-starter, willing to learn and able to work unsupervised (Essential)
19. Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines (Essential)
20. Honesty, discretion & confidentiality (Essential)
21. An interest in water and the environment (Desirable)
22. Full clean driving licence (Essential)
23. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends (Essential)
Please email a CV (two pages max) and a covering letter (two pages max) focusing on your relevant experience and what you will bring to the role and to Ballinderry Rivers Trust, to email@example.com.
Expected Interview date: Friday 24th July 2020
Reference ID: BRT-REC001-20