Finance/Administration Officer, Part Time (15 hours p/w flexible), Mersey Rivers Trust
The Mersey Rivers Trust
The Mersey Rivers Trust is a charity working in partnership with all those interested in improving our local rivers and waterways. As a member of the national Rivers Trust movement, it is the Rivers Trust for the River Mersey and its catchment including Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Merseyside. We are a small and enthusiastic team which has grown from 2 to 10 staff in the past three years The Trust has ambitious plans for further expansion and development and we are looking to appoint a highly motivated individual to support our finance and administration functions.
The role presents an opportunity to work flexibly with our Trustees, Directors and project delivery staff and contribute to significant environmental improvements in the catchment.
The role of the Finance Officer is essential to day to day work of the Trust. There is scope for the post holder to develop his/ her career further through the following diverse areas of work:-
• Prepare the annual budget, (with the Director) for approval by the Board of Trustees
• Prepare quarterly management accounts with variances and cash flow forecasts for the Board of Trustees
• Work with the Directors and Project Managers to prepare multi-year budgets and undertake forecasting to inform the delivery of the Strategic Plan.
• Oversee all payments, manage cash flow, direct debit, income and donations
• Ensure that all pension payments are calculated and processed on a timely basis and liaise with the pension provider where necessary
• Liaise with the Trust’s external payroll provider to ensure all salaries, National Insurance and PAYE are paid correctly and on time
• Balance and maintain accurate ledgers using the Trust’s finance system (Xero)
• Match purchase orders with invoices
• Coordinate bank deposits and report financial results on a regular basis to the management team
• Pay vendor invoices and track bank account balances using electronic banking
• Oversee grant claims and prepare financial reports to funders
• Maintain the Trust’s finance records on the electronic financial system (Xero)
General management and administration
• Support staff in preparation of funding proposals, invoicing and claims
• Attend quarterly Trustee board meetings and minute taking.
• Attend monthly team meetings and record actions
• Maintain an efficient electronic (and, where necessary, paper) filing system
• Support staff with administrative activities as may be required
• Undertake other duties from time to time to assist the Directors
This job description cannot cover every issue or task that may arise. The successful candidate may be expected to carry out other duties which are consistent with the aim and objectives of the post.
Finance/Administration officer job-holder competency profile
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent qualifications matched with proven experience
• Experience of financial and management reporting within a medium sized organisation
• Experience of preparing monthly management accounts and year-end statutory accounts, including liaising with auditors
• Ability to communicate financial information in an appropriate manner for non-financial Trustees and staff
• Ability to manage time effectively, work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Insight to know when to seek help to solve problems at an early stage
• Strong analytical skills
• Flexible thinking
• Team player
• Ability to use Xero (or equivalent electronic financial recording and reporting systems) and Microsoft Excel
• Experience of payroll and pension payments
• Good written and oral communication skills; confident and clear presentation manner
• Experience of being part of a team that focuses on organisation-wide issues
• Experience of processing grant claims to funders
• Interest in the water environment and the work of the Trust
Applications must be received no later than 9th April 2020.
Interviews will be held w/c 20th April, venue to be confirmed.