Farm Advisor/ Project Officer – Lune Rivers Trust
The Lune Rivers Trust is a small but ambitious environmental charity dedicated to the protection and enhancement of all the rivers and tributaries in the Lune catchment.
In 2019, the Trust was successful in securing Water Environment Grant funding for number of activities, including the Help for Forgotten Farms project. This project focuses on addressing failing water bodies in the Upper Lune and Upper Wenning areas by working with farmers to understand the issues and to address some of the root causes. This project is in its final phase (due to finish in September 2021) and we need someone to deliver a successful conclusion to the project.
In early 2021, the Trust has been successful in securing funding for the development of a programme of riparian woodland creation focusing on Lancashire. This is a new project, and we are looking for someone to launch and develop this activity.
The split in time between the two projects is flexible, but in broad terms will be 50:50.
Location: Currently home-based, but once CV-19 restrictions allow, working from the Lune Rivers Trust office in Morecambe. Frequent site work will be required, at locations across the Lune catchment, particularly the Tebay and Upper Wenning areas.
Hours: Full-time 37.5 hours per week.
Contract: 12 month fixed term contract (with potential to extend)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Help for Forgotten Farms
• Work with farmers in the Upper Lune and Upper Wenning to oversee the delivery of priority actions to reduce diffuse pollution issues identified by Soil and Nutrient Management Plans and Farm Infrastructure Reports commissioned for the area.
• Provide farm advice and training events to improve farmers’ knowledge around diffuse pollution and support the delivery of measures identified.
• Develop a prioritisation of where riparian woodland creation would have the most impact in terms of multiple environmental benefits. This will involve close liaison with neighbouring Rivers Trusts.
• Based on this prioritisation, develop working relationships with landowners who would support woodland creation projects.
• From these discussions, work up project proposals for funding bids.
• Maintain effective liaison with other catchment partners involved in these areas (Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, Environment Agency, Natural England, Forestry Commission, Woodland Trust, Lancaster City Council and local stakeholder groups).
• Work with the Trust Manager to develop future funding bids.
• Assist with other LRT projects as necessary.
How to apply:
If you would like more information, or an informal chat, about the post please contact Tim Pitt (Trust Manager) on 079 49 24 26 55 or email@example.com
To apply for this post please send a current CV and covering letter to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why this position is of interest to you, the skills and experience you can offer, how you meet the criteria set out in the Person Description, and other information you consider relevant.
Closing date for applications: Midnight 14th March 2021.