Conservation project officer – Action for the River Kennet
Conservation Project Officer, Sparkling Streams
Action for the River Kennet are recruiting for a project officer to deliver whole catchment habitat restoration project on the rivers Shalbourne, Dun and Kennet, as part of the Sparkling Streams project funded by a grant from the Green Recovery Challenge Fund.
We are looking for a resourceful, self-motivated person with a good understanding of catchment issues and a strong interest in rivers. This is a community-based role, which will involve working closely with partner organisations and landowners, and leading volunteer teams. Occasional weekend and evening working will be required. A significant part of this role involves working outdoors doing practical physical activities. This role is pitched at early career individuals, or those changing careers and opportunities for training, work shadowing and support will be provided.
Reporting to the project manager, you will be joining a small team of motivated people working to protect and improve the watercourses in the Kennet catchment.
- Leading small scale river habitat restoration, working alongside volunteers to a schedule of works provided by the project manager, initially with support.
- River habitat restoration, working alongside contractors and professional river keepers
- Building and maintaining a community volunteer team, providing a safe working environment and meaningful tasks
- Co-ordinating and leading tree and hedge planting with community volunteers to a plan provided by the project manager
- Co-ordinating and leading wetland planting with community volunteers
- Working with a Rain Garden designer to install a new rain garden at Shalbourne Primary school and working alongside ARK staff to promote SuDS ideas that parents and the wider community can use in their own gardens
- Working alongside the ARK education officer to support Water Matters in three local primary schools
Read the full job spec on ARK’s website here.
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter to Action for the River Kennet, Avebury, Elcot Park, Elcot Lane, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 2BG, or email to email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 26 February 2021 and interviews will take place during the week of 1st March 2021