Queue the fanfare! It's time for our second instalment of Volunteers Week! Today, we're going to talk about corporate volunteering. Have you ever wondered why companies who offer volunteering opportunities are so successful? Or perhaps you'd like to find out more about what volunteering with the Rivers Trust looks like? Well, have no fear! We're here to tell you everything you need to know about corporate volunteering. Thank you to Sage People for the information in the section below.
How Could Corporate Volunteering Benefit Your Organisation?
- Workplace Pride: Employees are more likely to take pride in an organisation which shows support for volunteer causes. When employees are given paid time off to volunteers, it's likely that they'll share this news with their families and wider social networks.
- Happy Employees = Longterm Employees: Research conducted by Great Place to Work demonstrated that employees are more likely to stay with an employer with a volunteering program. Providing employees with the opportunity to 'give back' to their community makes them feel more positively about your organisation, increasing the chances that they'll stay in the role longterm.
- Connected Teams: Corporate volunteering encourages employees to work together. Banding together in order to achieve a common, altruistic goal is a great way to build relationships and support networks.
- Nurturing Leaders: Volunteering can encourage employees to develop valuable leadership skills, as well as helping to identify those who would make capable leaders in the workplace.
- Skill Building: Corporate volunteering can help employees to build new skills, leading to boosted self-esteem and motivation. The different opportunities available through volunteering could expose employees to a whole new set of interests.
- Mental & Physical Benefits: Research has shown that companies offering volunteering opportunities report reduced levels of sick leave. Volunteering is associated with positive changes in mental and physical wellbeing, leading to happier, healthier employees.