join and support The Rivers Trust?
Rivers trusts across the country have gained a reputation of being “doers” and deliverers, concentrating much of their effort on practical catchment, river rehabilitation and fishery improvement works on the ground. This has led to them being described as having “wet feet” and being a true “grass roots” community based phenomenon. It follows from this “bottom up” approach that, first and foremost, we encourage all people to support their local rivers trust.
The success of local or regional rivers trusts has created a need for an organisation to bring together and share their good practice and experience and lead the movement forward.
- RT represents the rivers trust movement in England and Wales , promoting the achievement of rivers trusts and forging partnerships to support their work.
- RT provides guidance on issues of policy at a range of levels, particularly nationally, and is currently working on the implementation of the Water Framework Directive, CAP reform and Catchment Sensitive Farming.
- RT assists in the co-ordination and development of existing rivers trusts, offering economies of scale and consistency in respect of good governance and quality standards.
- RT provides help and guidance for new and emerging trusts, groups and initiatives
- RT provides an “umbrella” for many community based river improvement groups, initiatives and projects
Joining and supporting RT helps us to develop the rivers trust movement and assist river trusts across the country to form or grow and flourish at a river basin level for the benefit of our environment, our communities and our health.
Application for membership
Membership is open to all individuals and organisations, including corporations, governmental and non-governmental bodies.
The Rivers Trusts (“RT”) is a company limited by guarantee. Members are therefore formally admitted by the Trustees, subject to its Memorandum and Articles of Association. Members are entitled to vote at general meetings of RT and to receive its annual report and accounts.
Rivers Trust membership is restricted to registered charities having objects that are similar to those of RT (i.e. bona fide rivers trusts) and who operate within a part of England and Wales. In addition to general voting rights, Rivers Trust members have a special right collectively to nominate and appoint the majority of the Board, which is designed to keep RT close to its roots and for the benefit of the rivers trust movement. Full membership is open to bona fide rivers trusts outside England & Wales .
We recognise that funding is particularly tight for many local or regional voluntary groups, particularly new and emerging rivers trusts/groups, and the rate is purposely the same as individuals to assist joining.
Further details are given in our membership application form. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01579 372142
We would naturally be pleased to receive any donation in addition to a subscription.
Equally, if anyone wishes to give a donation instead of membership we will be pleased to receive it, with a completed Gift Aid Declaration if applicable.
Further details and relevant forms are available from email@example.com or phone 01579 372142